This page contains my articles/monographs/techniques, both past and present. There are two columns containing very different subject matter:
The left hand column contains recent monographs and copies of brochures, limited to matters concerning fine art photography, my work in that field, practical information for collectors, etc. I have made the decision to limit all my present and future efforts to the production of photographs and related matters, as much as possible. I swore off any more research some years ago. Like most resolutions, that one has already fallen by the wayside.
The right hand column contains past published magazine articles on analog photographic techniques and theory. Some of the materials necessary to those techniques, no longer exist. But, as many photographers are still using traditional materials, I make this work available for reference. What may be useless information today can become priceless tomorrow. In fact, that is exactly how I developed some of those techniques: searching for scraps of lost knowledge in hundred-year-old forgotten texts and adapting it to, what was then, modern needs.
I am no longer writing about the Zone System or doing research on new contrast and tone control techniques for analog photography, instead devoting all of my time to creating new hs and occasionally writing on more practical, less technical subjects. The research and inventing I now leave to younger photographers, better versed in computer programming, the new frontier for photographic technique development.
All of this material is free to read and you are authorized to print one copy for personal use. All are copyrighted and copyrights will be enforced. Send others to this web site to download copies for themselves.
There is an exception for left hand column items labeled Trifold. These are PDFs of brochures I print and distribute to collectors, etc. If you are a fine art photographer and wish to use these brochures for distribution to your collectors, you are welcome to do so, so long as the entire content remains unaltered.
- Matting & Framing Your New Photograph
- Ban the Bedsheets – Size Matters
- Trifold – The Photograph as a Work of Art
- Trifold – Making a Fine Art Photograph
- Zone System Expansion Film
- Zone System Contraction Part I – A New Theoretical Approach
- Zone System Contraction Part II – The Monobath Method
- Zone System Contraction Part III – SLIMTs
- Zone System Contraction Part IV – The Highlight Method
- The Primacy of Local Contrast
- Advanced Zone System Filter Use Parts I & II
- Dye Dodging
- Modified Zone System Terminology
- Zone System Calibration Parts I & II
- Variable Contrast From Graded Papers
- Tray Processing in Tubes
- Are You Using The Wrong Film Speed?
- Fixing and Washing B&W Photographic Materials
- Fine Print Workshop Notes
- Fine Print-Making Secrets
Trifold - The Photograph as a Work of Art